Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Apple Pie


Valentine's Pie
Originally uploaded by mysterybridgers

This is the time of apples and therefore apple pie. This pie comes from the "Ten Talents" cookbook. This is a 1960s era vegetarian cookbook that in spite of all the bible thumping is actually a wonderful cookbook. It is kind of like Dr. Bronner's soap, just appreciate the soap and ignore the "ALL ONE" manifesto on the bottle. I have seen the cookbook at just about every bargain bookstore, so I'm sure you could find a copy. This recipe makes the best apple pie I have ever had. We'll see if this one lives up to its legacy. I used unbleached all purpose flour instead of whole wheat flour and added a bunch of different spices, but other than that I followed the recipe for the baked apple pie and the "stir and roll" pie crust. The stir and roll crust is very simple and only contains flour, oil, salt, and soy milk. It makes a surprisingly flaky and tasty crust. The hearts are left over pieces of dough rolled out, cut into heart shapes, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I baked them in a 425 degree oven for 8 minutes.

No comments: