Friday, February 1, 2008

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage


Purple cabbage, originally uploaded by mysterybridgers.

This is sweet and sour red cabbage with seitan and chive mashed potatoes. The cabbage recipe is from a book called The Natural Health Cookbook by Dana Jacobi (another great find for a dollar at the library book sale). This recipe is really simple and just requires a lot of baking time in the oven. It contains onions, red cabbage, apples, seitan and a couple of different kinds of vinegars. It was very very good. I think that my inner Belgian is showing because I really love the combination of cabbage and potatoes (it is not just popular in Germany you know). I didn't realize until I started making the recipe that the seitan is supposed to be deep fried. I thought that this step was totally unnecessary and would only unnecessarily increase the fat content, so the seitan went in straight out of the package. It was still delicious so no need to deep fry the seitan in my opinion. The whole batch of cabbage and potatoes only include 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter, so they are actually pretty low fat. There were plenty of leftovers because the recipe makes a huge batch and the leftovers were just as tasty the second day.

No comments: