Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Blueberry Danish


Blueberry Danish, originally uploaded by mysterybridgers.

It's been a few years since I've made this one, but it always turns out well. I just realized that I forgot one of the liquid ingredients in the pastry dough, but I've already taste tested it and it turned out ok even with the missing 1/3 cup liquid (although I was wondering why the dough was so dry when I rolled it out and it made the danish harder to shape resulting in a kind of wonky looking end result--but as long as it tastes good, I have no problem with it).

This is a low fat blueberry danish recipe from a years old cooking magazine (I want to say it is from Gourmet magazine, but it has been a while and I cut the recipe out). It is a clever recipe that uses low fat cottage cheese in the crust (instead of butter), low fat cream cheese in the filling and lots and lots of lemon. I would list the recipe, but I don't want to violate anyone's copyright (which is why I generally don't list recipes out of cookbooks).

It has been so long since we have made this one because for some reason blueberries have skyrocketed in price. The last time I saw blueberries at the co-op, they were $8 a basket (?!). We found some organic blueberries for $2.99 a basket at one of the markets we sometimes go to and had to dust off this recipe to celebrate the relatively cheap berries.

No comments: