Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Bountiful Pita


pita, originally uploaded by mysterybridgers.

This is a terrible picture, but I was so hungry before eating this that I kind of phoned it in. I did however, think that I should share this simple and tasty dish.

I found some frozen falafel patties by Olive Valley at the co-op and decided to put them in a pita pocket with a bunch of stuff. You can't even see the falafel in this picture because it is hidden by all the veggies, so you will just have to take my word on it that it is under there somewhere.

We made hummus loosely based on a recipe in Food for the Vegetarian, a lebanese cookbook. The hummus consisted of 1 can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed), 1 clove of garlic, lots of lemon juice (I kept adding more until it tasted right to me, but some people may not like it as lemony), 2 tablespoons of tahini, lots of parsley, and some salt to taste. All of these ingredients were processed in a small food processor until smooth.

The hummus was spread on the inside of a small pita pocket warmed in the microwave for about 5 seconds. Then the following ingredients got stuffed in: 1 falafel patty (which had to be fried in some oil in the pan), salad mix, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, radish slices, and olives. Yum.

There wasn't a whole lot of falafel in each little pita, but it didn't really need any more than that. The homemade hummus turned into the star of the show. In fact you could just leave the falafel out and make this a hummus and veggie pita and it would probably be just as good. (However, this brand of falafel turned out pretty tasty, so I definitely recommend it).

No comments: