Monday, March 10, 2008

Wheat Meat Salad


Wheat Meat Salad 2
Originally uploaded by mysterybridgers

This is "wheat-meat and romaine salad with red potatoes" from the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook. The term "wheat-meat" strikes me as a little odd--although when you think about it seitan is a little odd too, it is a little too close to satan--yes I had satan salad the other day and it was quite good.

Well this salad was quite good and very simple and quick like most of the recipes in this book. The seitan was browned first in some olive oil while the potatoes boiled. Then these are mixed into a dressing of shallots, vinegar, olive oil and herbs. I always cut way down on the oil in dressings because I think that the 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio is unnecessary. I usually do 1 to 1 oil to vinegar or even less oil than vinegar and it still tastes just fine. This salad is best at room temperature with cherry tomatoes on top, but we didn't have any tomatoes so we just served it over some very good red leaf lettuce and salad mix. The red leaf lettuce was extremely tasty and crisp.

This salad worked well for leftovers, but only because we kept the lettuce separate from the potato salad--otherwise the lettuce would have gotten soggy.

In other news, I have been messing with the picture layout on this blog. I used to have the pictures set to large, but the right hand side of the picture always got cut off. Now the pictures are smaller, but now I think they are too small. I'll have to think about it and maybe change the layout again. I am not that tech savvy so we'll see what I can do.

No comments: