Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ripe Stuff in a Bowl

We went to visit a friend on Saturday night, and we were told "if you want dessert, you should bring it, because we aren't eating sugar," so we went to Whole Foods and decided to see what was ripe, figuring we'd cut up some fruit and put it in a bowl, so that we wouldn't be eating sugary sweets while our hosts gave us furtive wishful glances. We didn't have much of a plan, but that's OK. When in doubt, start with ripe ingredients, and mess them up as little as possible.

Our choices seemed to be, pineapple, and a half pint of some anachronistically ripe raspberries which smelled delicious. We grabbed these, a handful of fresh spearmint, and some Nancy's cottage cheese, figuring we'd make a nice sweet and minty take on the Weight Watcher's standard, pineapple and cottage cheese salad.

After dinner, we diced up the pineapple and the mint, and tossed in the raspberries, and then mixed it up. The raspberries gave up their juice and gave everything a nice rose tint. (Sorry guys, we didn't have the camera, so my prose will have to suffice,) a quick taste and we realized that the cottage cheese was absolutely unnecessary and that the combo of sweet pineapple, tart raspberry, and cool fresh mint, was good enough to stand on it's own.

It was so good, in fact, that we are going to stash the recipe away here on the blog so we can have it again some day when the pineapple and raspberry seasons collide.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey this having nothing to do with ripe stuff in a bowl except for that really does sound fantastic. I thought I would let you know that I nominated you for best food blog. I hope that you don't know seeing as how you and I don't actually know eachother. I just really enjoy your blog and thought that you should be in the running. I am not telling you this so you'll nominate me (cause trust me my blog is not that great) I'm just telling you so that you are aware. and then you can tell your friends and they can read and vote for you as well.

The Grape Crusader said...

Yay! Thank you for letting us know you are out there! The nomination is great, but knowing that someone is reading and enjoys our efforts is makes us feel like we've already won the REAL prize!

Optimistic said...

Thanks for the acknowledgment! Where did you nominate us?

Unknown said...

Here is a link to the site. http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/

and you are under the best food blog entry. I don't know who else has gone and voted as of yet. I think you have to register with them as well to vote. there are several fun blogs in all of the listings. check them out if you have a chance. :-)